Monday, October 4, 2021

My Personal Encounter with Jesus in John 5:1-14



This is a Lectio Divina written by a fellow mature student from the seminary that I was in. This is his assignment as a partial fulfilment for a module on Spiritual Formation which he did. I have his permission to share his assignment, in view of my reading of Psalm 54 (see my blog post): 

My Personal Encounter with Jesus in John 5:1-14

By an Anonymous Author

        As usual, today I made my way to whatever available spot was left at the side of the pool of the Sheep Gate, where multitudes of invalids like the lame, blind or paralysed gathered around the pool side. I always seem to be one of the last ones to make it there, because I had met with an accident some 38 years ago, which left my feet mangled. I lost my ability to walk again. Each time, I have to drag myself on the ground just using my bare hands, all calloused and bruised from the much exerted effort to move, with my bed slung behind me. All of us invalids try to be the first to enter the pool when the waters are stirred, as we have seen for ourselves, that the first person who enters the pool is miraculously healed, for some reason or another. Today, it is exceptionally crowded, as there is a feast going on in Jerusalem. So it was very difficult for me to make my way through the crowd. Finally, I find a spot in a corner. I open up my bed to lay on it, facing the pool. It was extra difficult to see the pool water, with the walking crowd constantly blocking my view. The atmosphere was noisy, with shuffling feet, and people talking loudly, to be heard. While I kept intently looking at the pool, I was not hopeful today because of all the obstacles. I was extremely forlorn, dejected, thinking that coming here today was a waste of time.

        Suddenly, I heard a distinct voice, “Hello!” I took my focus from the pool and directed it at this man who was standing over me. He was looking directly at me. Undeniably, that voice and the eye contact stirred my spirit within me. I felt a warmth I had never felt for a long time. No one paid me any attention over the years. Before I could collect myself to respond to him, he shot me a rhetoric question, “Do you want to be healed?” I could have easily answered an emphatic “YES!” but instead I found myself unnecessarily explaining why I couldn’t make in the pool before anyone else. I would have continued, but he interjected with a ridiculous order, “Get up, take up your bed, and walk.” Immediately, I felt life in my feet and I straightened them, and, with amazement and exuberance, I shouted out, “My feet! My feet! I can feel them!” I could not do this for 38 long years. I stood up and took my ‘baby steps.’ I quickly grabbed my bed to rush home to tell my family, relatives and friends. I felt so tall. I could see far. I was making my way through the crowd with great excitement.

        “Today’s the Sabbath! How dare you carry your bed on the Sabbath!” rang aloud behind me. I turned to see an angry mob with daggered eyes eye-balling me. I panicked, realising they were the ‘holy joes.’ I explained that that man who healed me told me to do so. In all of my earlier excitement, I forgot about him, not realising he left me immediately after healing me. I really did not know who he was. All I could tell them was, “That Man told me to.” They let me go. On the way home, I thought I should go to the temple to show myself to the priest and perhaps, give thanks to God for healing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's learn to sing in Hebrew

  Sing "This is the Day" in Hebrew this Sunday at church.          For those who know how to read Hebrew, this is a very simple ve...